webdotcom No Comments

How Do I Choose A New Boiler?

How Do I Choose A New Boiler?



People often ask us how do I choose a new boiler.

Firstly you need to make sure what type of system you have installed.

  • If you have tanks in the loft and a cylinder then you have a Conventional System.
  • If you do not have any of these items then you had a combination boiler.
  • If as soon as you turn the hot water on the boiler fires up then you have a combination boiler.

The next thing to check is the existing boiler and the model which will be printed either inside the casing on a data plate. This will give you an indication of the model and the output of the boiler. If you can find the data plate it is a great start in choosing a new boiler. Here at Mr Central Heating we can offer you the best like for like change for your boiler.

OK, so you have a​ conventional boiler and want to keep the tanks in your loft and the cylinder in your cupboard.

  • You may have a boiler like a Potterton Neta-­heat or Profile as these where really popular in previous years.
  • They made models like the 10/16 (max 60,000 BTU) and 16/22 ( max 75,000 BTU) and the Profile range ran from 30,000BTU to 80,000BTU.
  • Another popular boiler was the Glow-­worm Ultimate which also ranged from 30,000 -­‐ 120,000 BTU.
  • If you have any of these then you are in luck because the new Potterton Gold Heat Only Range is available to replace these old boilers.

OK, so you have a combination boiler!
These have come a long way since you last purchased and now make up 80% of the sales in the UK. This is down to there range of outputs.

  • Please check the output and model of your combination boiler and it is more than likely either 80,000BTU(24KW) or 100,000BTU(28KW).
  • The model name often gives away the output for example, Glow-­worm Swiftflow 75, 80, 100, 120 or Puma 80 or a very popular boiler of old a Saunier Duval Thema 23.
  • Again checking the data plate or model is vital for us at mrcentralheating to suggest the best replacement.


We love hearing all the old names of boilers in the industry and with guys who have been in the trade 40yrs it is more than likely we have sold one or even sold you the one you have. Buying a new boiler is not easy and we would suggest speaking to one of our guys before you purchase to make sure it is correct for you.

Things change and your requirements for the boiler may have changed with an extension or you may have got rid of all the kids.

  • With this in mind please do not get carried away with a boiler, big is not always best. We are constantly saving customers money because they are choosing a boiler that is too big for their property.
  • It is great to have lots of hot water but our homes have changed in the last few years, radiators have become more efficient, insulation is thicker and better, boilers and controls have become more advanced.
  • Conventional systems that use either a copper cylinder or a new stainless steel unvented one , like our UV Gold cylinders are great, as they store water and allow you to have large volumes of hot water in a short space of time.
  • This is fine but having a constant flow of hot water from a combination is more economical and even the new Rinnai Continuous Flow water heater can provide a system that is more than adequate for a 3-­‐4 bedroom house. The Rinnai also offer a K26i which can provide up to 26 litres of temperature controlled hot water !!!!!

Find out how to buy a new boiler and view various types of boilers here at MPH Boilers

webdotcom No Comments

Time Running Out for Landlords Meeting New EPC Rules (2018)

Time Running Out for Landlords Meeting New EPC Rules (2018)

From next year, you won’t be able to rent out your property unless it passes an efficiency test. Over one million dwellings in England and Wales would not currently pass the new rules, and could face huge fines.

To make sure you don’t fall foul, EPC Expert Tom Harrington takes us through the new rules and what you need to do to make your property compliant in time.

What Are the Upcoming EPC Changes?

Landlords need to get a new EPC certificate every ten years. Back in 2015 legislation was passed that means, from April 2018, both domestic and non-domestic properties in England and Wales will have to meet a minimum energy efficiency standard (MEES).

The minimum efficiency standard is set at an E rating for all types of domestic and non-domestic property.

So which properties do the new EPC rules apply to?

  • domestic properties in the private rental sector
  • on a lease between 6 months and 99 years
  • Properties in England and Wales. (Scotland currently has a similar legislation that is already in place.)

Without an EPC rated E or above it will not be possible to issue a new tenancy, or renew an existing tenancy, from 1st April 2018.  There are fines of up to £5,000 for landlords that are found in breach of the legislation.

Do the EPC Changes Affect Current Tenancies or Just New Lets?

The 2018 rules only apply to new tenancies, but in 2020, the same rules will apply to all tenancies.

April 2018 Changes

After April 2018, if your minimum term ends, but you still have a contract in place, the rules won’t suddenly apply to your tenancy. Even if your last rating was below an E, you will be ok as long as you don’t renew your tenancy.

After your minimum term expires, your tenancy can run on as a periodic tenancy. Read more about what happens at the end of your minimum term here.

April 2020 Changes

In April 2020, the new MEES rules will apply to all existing lets. At this point, you will need an EPC rating of an E or above to let your property at all.

Even if your tenancy is already underway and you have no plans to renew, after April 2020, you will need to have an EPC rating of E or above or you could face fines.

What Should I Do If My Rental Property Has an EPC that Is Lower than an E Rating?

If your last EPC rating was below an E, the first thing to do is to get an up-to-date EPC carried out. You can order a comprehensive EPC report with OpenRent.

EPC calculations are changing all the time and it is possible that you will receive a different rating to the one you got several years ago. If the property’s new EPC rating is still below an E, then you will need to make efficiency improvements to boost your rating before you let it out or renew your contract.

Your EPC report will have a list of recommended measures for improving your property’s energy efficiency performance. You will need to carry out enough of these measures to improve your score to above an E rating.

Example of EPC recommendations for improving domestic property energy efficiency

The recommendations in the table are cumulative. In other words, the rating in the ‘Rating After Improvement’ column shows you what the rating would be if you carried out that improvement and all the improvements above it in the table.

Speak to your EPC assessor if you are unsure about how to proceed with improvements. After the energy efficiency changes have been made to the property, you will then need to get another EPC to show the new energy rating.

Exemptions to New EPC Rules

In England and Wales, there are over one million domestic buildings with an EPC rating of F or G – that’s around 6% of properties.

There are some exceptions as to which properties must comply with the new regulations. These will only apply in a small number of cases. If one of these apply, you can register for an exemption on the central register, which will be launched in October 2017.

  • Devaluation: The required improvements will either cause damage or reduce the value of the property by 5% or more.
  • Consent: It is not possible to gain the consent for the works to be completed required from the tenant, lender or superior landlord.
  • Cost: The identified improvement measures are not cost-effective, either within a seven year payback, or under the Green Deal’s Golden Rule.